Indianola Wrestling Camps
Mat Tribe Parents Information
Indianola Mat Tribe
Expectations of the Indianola Mat Tribe wrestling program:
• First and foremost we want this to be a great experience for your child.
• We will work hard and give great effort on the mat and in the classroom.
• We will act with class and courtesy on and off the mat.
• We will strive to get better every practice.
• We will treat each other as family to become a team.
What must be done for a wrestler can participate:
• Signup online at www.indianolawrestling.com
• Go to assigned grade level practice unless directed by a club coach to change groups or if you have a conflict with your time.
• We will have the best coaches we can find who are there only to help each kid make improvements. Please remember these coaches are volunteering their time to help your child.
• Parents are encouraged to help if they are comfortable with doing so. Ultimately the practices rest with the club coach.
• Grades K-1: Start Nov. 13th & run every Mon / Wed from 5:45 - 6:45 PM
Middle School Wrestling Room
• Grades 2-5: Start Nov. 7th & run every Mon / Tues from 6:10 to 7:15 PM
High School Wrestling Room
• Accelerated Group and Grade 6: Start Nov. 5th & run every Sun / Tues / Thurs: Times Below
Sunday: 6:00 – 7:30 PM
Tuesday: 7:15 – 8:15 PM
Thursday: 6:00 – 7:30 PM
High School Wrestling Room
• Parents: We have had a large number of parents in the room during practice in recent years. I like to have parents see practices to learn the sport, but it is also often times loud and disruptive to practice. In addition, the more people going on and off the mats, the more chance there is for skin infections. So, we are going to ask parents to stay out during practice unless you would like to come help with the practice.
• Please make sure your children are behaving in the hallways at the high school and middle school.
• If school is let out for bad weather we will not practice. If you are not sure, please call 681-3616 and Laurie will have a message on her phone to let you know about practice.
Skin and injuries:
• Wrestling is a contact sport and we will do all we can to make sure that kids are safe. We do have access to ice and bandages as needed.
• It is imperative that if your wrestler is sick to keep them home. It is also important that they shower after practice. This is to prevent skin infections and for good over all grooming habits. We do wash the mats before and after high school practice.
• Please have your kids wear shoes at practice that are not the shoes they wore outside. They do not have to be wrestling shoes.
There are individual tournaments most Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays all over the state which you can attend on an individual basis. The following are tournaments are some local tournaments we suggest. Parents will be in charge of registering your child for these tournaments and finding transportation to the tournaments.
***This list will be added to once more tournaments are listed on the Predicament. We will also dual Norwalk again but a date has not yet been determined
1. Dec. 3rd at Bondurant (Sunday)
2. Dec. 9th at Norwalk (Saturday)
Dec. 9th Waverly Youth Duals (Saturday)
3. Dec. 16th: Norwalk Dual at Blake Fieldhouse (Saturday) FREE
4. Dec. 27th at WDM Valley (Wednesday)
5. Dec. 30th Indianola (Saturday)
6. Jan. 7th at SE Warren (Sunday)
7. Jan 14th at Ankeny (Sunday)
8. Feb. 4th AAU Districts at Indianola (Grades 3-8 only)
• To find tournaments go to: www.thepredicament.com and click on youth tourneys.
• Please be a good judge of how many meets your child would like to attend. If they are new wrestlers I would not attend any tournaments until they have a year of practice experience.
• Always say something positive to your child when they come off the mat. The goal is for them to enjoy the sport. Wins and losses do not become important until an older age.
• Please represent Indianola Wrestling in a positive manner at tournaments. We want to be seen as a class program.
• Singlets: There will be singlets for sale—information will be sent out.
Mat Tribe tournaments:
• The Indianola Mat tribe tournament is December 31st at the Blake Fieldhouse.
• We need all parents to help with some aspect of this tournament (weigh-ins, ticket takers, people to write on wall charts, etc.) We appreciate the help!
• We also host districts for grades 3-8 at the Blake Fieldhouse for which we could use help as well and that is Sunday, Feb. 4th.
Indianola Mat Tribe Facebook Page: This will have important information regarding practices and tournaments. www.IndianolaWrestling.com: This site has signups and general information for Mat Tribe.